This skill course specializes in utilization, installation and maintenance of Solar Thermal Technologies for supply of process heat in industry. This course encompasses National Occupational Standards (NOS) and aligned with NSQF level 5 of “Solar Thermal Engineer - Industrial Process Heat," Qualification Pack (SGJ/Q0603) issued by “Skill Council for Green Jobs (SCGJ) of India”.
The objectives of this subject are:
- To make the students understand the principles of types of Solar Collectors and apply them for solving practical problems.
- To introduce the principles and design of Types of solar energy Storage Systems and its Application
- To understand the test and commissioning process of Solar Thermal system
- To carry out the specification, fabrication process, safety tools during project site.
The trainee will submit a Practice/Project/Learning record after each class/session.
- The assessment agencies should have an expert to conduct assessment NOS wise and every trainee should score a minimum of 70% in the overall assessment.
- The assessment of the theory/knowledge will be based on a written test/viva-voce or both while the skill test shall be hands-on practical.
Module 1: Introduction to Solar Thermal Engineering (6 hrs)
Practice: Demonstration of demo model of flat plate collector
Practice: Demonstration of demo model of portable type parabolic trough collector
Practice: Demonstration of demo model of parabolic dish type and box type cooker
Practice: Identification of linear Fresnel reflector
Practice: Demonstration of Solar water heater by Evacuated tube collector (ETC)
Module 2: Design of solar thermal system for industrial process heat applications (8 hrs),SGJ/N0607
Practice: Site survey for computing the shadow free open area available on the ground or rooftop for installation of solar thermal system
Practice: Analyze solar radiation data for the project site
Practice: Design and Modeling of liquid flat plate collector by using Catia software
Practice: Design and Modeling of Evacuated Tube type solar collector by using catia software
Practice: Design and Modelling of Forced convection type solar dryer by using catia software
Practice: Design and Modelling of Hybrid type solar dryer by using catia software
Practice: Design and Modelling of Box type of solar cooker
Practice: Design and Modelling of Parabolic Trough concentrator by using catia software
Practice: Design of Dish type of solar cooker by using catia software
Module 3: Installation, Testing of solar Thermal system (6 hrs), SGJ/N0608
Practice: Analyze designs and drawings of solar thermal system
Practice: Installation of concentrating collectors and receiver mounting structures
Practice: Installation and orientation of reflectors/ collector
Practice: Installation of Evacuated type of solar collector.
Practice: Measurement of solar radiation and temperature by using LUX Meter and pyrometer.
Practice: Performance Testing of Forced convection type solar dryer
Practice: Performance Testing of Hybrid type solar dryer
Practice: Performance testing of Box type of solar cooker
Practice: Performance testing of Parabolic Trough concentrator
Practice: Performance testing of Dish type of solar cooker
Module 4: Commissioning of solar thermal systems (3 hrs), SGJ/N0608
Practice: Commissioning of the solar thermal system
Practice: Commissioning of proper working of tracking system
Module 5: Maintenance of solar thermal systems (3 hrs), SGJ/N0606
- Practice: Maintenance of proper cleaning of reflectors/ collectors
Practice: Checking of reflectors/collectors for any defects
Practice: Checking of the receivers for damage
Practice: Checking the receivers for black coating/ selective coating and in case of fading of paint
Module 6: Maintain personal health & safety at solar thermal project site (2 hrs), SGJ/N0601
Practice: Identification of corporate policies required for work safety
Practice: Identification of the location of first aid materials
Practice: Identification of the personal protection equipment required for specific locations on-site
Practice: Demonstration of safe and accepted practices for personal protection
Practice: Identification of environmental hazards, personal safety and work site associated with the project site
Module 7: Work with organization (2 hrs), SGJ/N0120
Consult and assist others to maximize effectiveness and efficiency in carrying out tasks, display appropriate communication etiquette while working, demonstrate responsible and disciplined behaviors at the workplace, ensure collaboration and group participation to achieve common goals, facilitate an understanding and appreciation of the differences among team members
1.Project: Development of Hybrid type of solar dryer by using liquid flat plate collector
2.Project: Development of Box type of solar cooker by using reflector
3.Project: Development of Parabolic Trough concentrator by using magnifying glass for water heating purpose.
4.Project: Development of solar dish type of solar cooker
5.Project: Development of Evacuated Tube type of solar collector
6.Project: Development of Forced convection type of solar dryer by using liquid flat plate collector
1. DP Kothari, KC Singal, and R Ranjan, Renewable Energy Sources and Emerging Technologies, Prentice hall, New Delhi, 2008.
2. VVN Kishore, Renewable Energy Engineering and Technology: principles and practice, Teri, India, 2008
3. SS Das, DD Behera, and NC Giri, Clean Energy Applications in Modern World, Notion Press, ISBN: 9781638069560, 2021.
4. SS Das, DD Behera, and A.Pradhan, Clean Energy Products: A Path for Attaining Livelihood Security, Notion Press, ISBN: 9781636691602, 2020.